The Design/Build solar project with Cambrian School District involved the installation of multiple carport/shade structure systems totaling nearly 1 megawatt (MW) across six sites within the district. The six projects started simultaneously on September 14, 2014 and were operational by the end of May 2015, with most work happening on non-school days and during and scheduled school breaks. Because there were elementary and middle school children attending school (and parents doing drop/off and pick-up) throughout the course of the project, CEI took extra safety precautions.
During a long weekend in February, PG&E shut down power, while CEI connected the system to the grid. PG&E then installed NEM monitoring systems and completed final inspection before the solar arrays were turned on and started generating power.
- Farnham Elementary has one solar array near a playground.
- The District Office has an array in its front parking lot.
- Fammatre Elementary has one array installed near a playground.
- Price Middle has three solar arrays.
- Babgy Elementary has a solar array in one parking lot and another near a playground.
- Sartorette Elementary has one array installed in a field.
Each site features a kiosk displaying the power generated by the system so that students and staff can see their environmental impact.